Abt Associates seeks a Chief of Party (COP) to lead the anticipated 5-year USAID/Ukraine-funded New Agriculture – Harvest activity. The Activity aims to enable male and female grain and oilseed farmers, including marginalized and underserved groups, to return production of important food export crops to pre-war levels while improving production efficiency and profitability, and will position farmers to market their crops more successfully and profitably.
This position will be based in Ukraine and is contingent upon award of the funded New Agriculture – Harvest activity to Abt Associates.
- Provide strategic managerial and technical leadership for the program to ensure quality and timely delivery of all activities and deliverables;
- Oversee a multi-disciplinary team of experts;
- Oversee the quality and responsiveness of project subcontractors and drive corrective measures as appropriate;
- Serve as the primary liaison with USAID, other key US Government stakeholders and initiatives, private sector institutions, and, in conjunction with USAID, Ukrainian government and international donor representatives;
- Ensure that all project staff, personnel, and subcontractors understand their roles and responsibilities and comply with USAID and Abt policies and procedures;
- Supervise the project’s technical team to ensure a focus on core results, achievements of annual work plan and targets, and timely/effective implementation;
- Monitor the progress and pace of project implementation, assuring that the full potential of the program is realized through the promotion of high-quality work and internal control;
- Provide strategic technical direction and guidance to staff in relevant areas, including agricultural productivity; investment mobilization and investment de-risking solutions; storage, processing, logistics and marketing services; and equitable access to agricultural and financial services and markets for marginalized and underserved groups;
- Oversee the design and successful implementation of innovative cost share and co-investment mechanisms to maximize the impact and leveraging of USAID resources;
- Ensure the submission of timely and accurate program, financial, and procurement reports;
- Oversee establishment of a framework for monitoring, evaluation, learning and adapting in response to results achieved;
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with USAID and local counterparts to ensure effective coordination of project activities with relevant ministries and agencies, civil society, private sector actors, other project stakeholders, and complementary USAID and U.S. government-funded initiatives;
- Serve as the main point of contact with Abt Associates’ U.S. office.
What We Value
- Master’s degree in business, agriculture, agribusiness, economic growth, international development, or a related field;
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomacy, and leadership skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships and motivate the project team;
- Minimum of 10 years progressively responsible experience in project management and implementation, with at least 5 years in a senior supervisory capacity overseeing projects or initiatives similar in size and scope;
- USAID project management experience at COP or senior management level (highly preferred);
- Experience implementing complex, large (over 30M USD) programs in both conflict and non-conflict settings;
- Demonstrated experience leading inclusive agricultural market systems strengthening programs and in addressing access to capital constraints for small and medium size agriculture enterprises;
- Demonstrated experience in adaptive management and program design;
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with U.S., foreign government counterparts;
- Knowledge of Ukraine’s agricultural grain and oilseed markets and the obstacles to increasing output, sales and profitability;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English required, Ukrainian and/or Russian language skills highly preferred;
- Ukrainian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.